Winners of the 2nd JLPP International Translation Competition
Winners of the 2nd JLPP International Translation Competition, have now been chosen. Click on the ‘Japanese’ tab above for the links to the winning entries (Japanese only). The award ceremony and symposium will be held on March 11. (January. 29, 2016)
Dear Applicants for the 2nd JLPP Translation Competition,
Thank you very much for your interest in applying for the 2nd JLPP Translation Competition.
We are happy to inform you that the mailing address of the translation texts has been finally selected.
Please note that, since this mailing address has been set up to meet the requirements of the Personal Information Protection Law, it is to be used exclusively for the submission of translation texts.
As for the texts for application, please select 2 works: one from the Novel Category and the other from Critique and Essay Category.
Applications will be accepted from June 1 to July 31, 2015.
Other details of the submission of the texts are given below.
Souka-shi, Saitama 340-8501
Starting 2015, the Japanese Literature Publishing Project (JLPP), sponsored by the Agency for Cultural Affairs, is organizing the JLPP International Translation Competition with a view to discovering and fostering skilled translators who can help introduce and spread modern Japanese literature throughout the world.
- Download the 2nd JLPP International Translation Competition Entry Form.
EligibilityThere are no nationality or age-related eligibility criteria. However, those who have published their translations in book form are not eligible, but translations published in magazines will be eligible.
Method of ApplicationPlease follow the instructions given below:
- Download the JLPP International Translation Competition application form from the JLPP website and fill in all the required items.
- Send a softcopy (CD-ROM) and a hardcopy version of your translated texts by mail, together with the completed application form, to the address which will be announced on this website after April, 2015.
- The hardcopy version of the translations must be printed out on A4 or letter-size paper, portrait orientation, written horizontally, at 32 lines per page, using 12 point Times New Roman font, with at least 1.5 cm left and right margins, and the "page number of total pages" specified on each page.
- The name of the translator must not appear on the submitted translated texts.
- Applications submitted via e-mail or other non-postal media shall not be accepted.
- Applications failing to comply with the above requirements will not be accepted, except for some inevitable reasons, which will be addressed individually.
- Submitted materials will not be returned.
Application periodJune 1, 2015 to July 31, 2015 (the application must be postmarked by July 31).
Texts for translationPlease select one title from each category below for your translation, and submit two translated works.
- Download the texts for translation, or booklet can be posted to those who are interested.
NovelsNamida uri by Yoko Ogawa (Yoakeno fuchi wo samayou hitobito)
Sennichite by Hisaki Matsuura (Mono no tawamure)
Critiques and EssaysTokoyagirai no panse by Toshiyuki Horie (Oparaban)
Showa ga hakken shita mono by Saiichi Maruya (Hoshi no aibiki)
- 1st Prize -
- One winner
Award certificate and an extra prize will be conferred.
- 2nd Prize -
- Two winners
Judging CommitteeKazuhisa Takahashi (Professor of English Literature, University of Tokyo)Stephen Snyder (Translator, Japanologist, Professor, Middlebury College)Janine Beichman (Translator, Japanologist, Emeritus Professor, Daito Bunka University)Michael Emmerich (Translator, Japanologist, Senior Associate Professor, University of California, Los Angeles)
Announcement of the WinnersEnd January, 2016
- The results will be informed directly to the winners beforehand.
- Profiles of the winners as well as remarks on their works will be posted.
Personal information received from applicants shall be strictly controlled, and shall not be used for any purpose other than this competition.
No questions shall be entertained regarding the judging process.
Inquiries - Inquiries may be directed to the JLPP Office
- Inquiries Form